Once placed into the region for surgery, the surgeon uses the SCOUT® surgical guide which transmits pulsating infrared light and a pulsating radar signal (at 50 million pulses/sec). This infrared light activates the reflector which bounces the radar signal back to the system, giving an audible cadence when detected as well as distance measurements from the end of that guide, accurate to one millimeter. To simplify, the technology is very similar to the micro power impulse radar used in your backup sensors in automobiles. So it is very accurate in detecting things over very short distances.
Merit attributes their success in tech feature upgrades to collected end user data from the surgical community. Prototypes are underway for a reduced reflector size, advanced image guidance, customized targeting cadence and improved ease of use in installation Since SCOUT® is approved for soft tissues it is rapidly expanding into other surgical sites such as pulmonary nodules and soft tissue sarcomas.
Dr. Barry Rosen, breast surgeon at Good Sheppard Hospital (Chicago, IL) describes the many advantages of wire-free localization technology in oncoplastic surgery. For the patient, this innovation adds a new level of ease and adaptability over the traditional (pain and stress of) the wired version.
There are limitations on how long that seed is active and detectable. Because of these issues, products like SCOUT were developed where there are no limitations on the activity of the device. Time is of no concern if your patient grows ill and their procedure is postponed a month or so down the road. There's no urgency to retrieve the product at any time. These real-life situations are really why products like this are developed.but this size difference is a non-issue to surgeons. Statements about SCOUT’s (minor) limitations however mention a slight adjustment in work parameters around the distance between the skin and the device particularly with large breasts or very dense breasts. The SCOUT technology is something that continues to evolve... they are trying to develop where you have a different signal if you have more than one lesion from multiple markers within the breast. Merit is also leading to a lot of competition because everybody wants a piece of that wire free action- but the SCOUT developers set the bar pretty high and a lot of institutions have embraced it... I think it's going to be tough for them to break in since SCOUT has already made their mark.
It is noted that programs using radioactive seeds continue to exist, but the market appears to reflect a transition to non-radioactive devices for reasons described.
Dr. TroyShell-Masouras conducts life saving Breast Cancer Surgery at Paradise Coast Breast Specialists in
STEPHEN A. CHAGARES, MD FACS- Cancer Surgeon/ General,Laparoscopic, Robotic Surgery - “Yes, the Scout technology is a great progression of technology. It allows accurate localization with site of incision at the Surgeon’s discretion allowing for significantly increased cosmetic appearance of a lumpectomy. Also, it’s placed days earlier so no radiology delays on OR days waiting for patients to return after being sent down for guidewire placement."
* Opinions expressed in this VIEWPOINTS section are supportive comments about the contents of this article and are solely those from the contributors credited.
GET CHECKED NOW! : EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES
1) "What is Breast Needle Localization?" https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Alberta/Pages/Breast-needle-localization.aspx#:~:text=Needle%20localization%20(also%20called%20wire,by%20mammogram%20or%20ultrasound%20guidance.
2) July 2019: "Exciting Changes are Here for SCOUT Radar Localization: Merit medical is excited to announce that SAVI SCOUT will now be known as SCOUT radar localization... ": https://www.merit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SCOUT-Report-2019-July-Changes-for-SCOUT-Radar-Localization.pdf
4) Introducing the New SCOUT Ultrasound Delivery System (SAVI SCOUT News/ CiannaMedical Newsletter)-: https://www.merit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/201812-SCOUTReport-IntroducingTheNewSCOUTUltrasoundDeliverySystem.pdf
5) Seasoned Leader Appointed to Guide / Merit’s Cianna Medical Franchise (SCOUT REPORT-News) https://www.merit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/SCOUT-Report-2019-February-Seasoned-Leader-Appointed-to-Guide.pdf